When in situations of stress we wonder if there is anymore to give. We can be comforted to know that God, who knows our capacity perfectly, placed us here to succeed. No one was foreordained to fail. Let us remember that we were measured before and were found equal to our tasks. When we feel overwhelmed, let us recall the assurance that God will not over-program us; he will not press upon us more than we can bear.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Are YOU happy?

So today I was walking across campus on my way to work. I had just finished with choir so I was in a pretty good mood. I had a smile on my face and as I walked I noticed more and more that people around me weren't so happy. They looked stressed or disgruntled. Or even that I'm not happy to be here look. Some looked depressed just for the sake of looking depressed. What in the world is going on, I thought to myself. Why is everyone so sad? Was it because I've just been on a cloud for the past 4 months. Or was it because they just hated life? What was it? Then I thought, I wish that these people could be as happy as I feel. Why do I feel this way? Well I was thinking and I thought, ya know, Todd really helps me live the way I should. He is always reminding me of my prayers and scripture reading and good music and serving others, many many different things. Is it because of the gospel? I had just left the institute and people seemed pretty happy there. What in the world was going on? Basically, I was confused.

Then I realized that life is given to us by our wonderful Heavenly Father. He gives us all that we have. EVERYTHING! We should be happy for the things that he simply just gives to us. Such as the beauty of the earth. The friends that we have. Even if we don't have friends, we have our Heavenly Father. That is enough to be happy. I think a lot of people aren't noticing him. Why don't they notice? Is it because they don't want to? Maybe. I think about how I used to be when I was younger (Like 10-12). I was pretty happy. I knew about the gospel and for the most part, I believed in it. Then when I got older, I got into trouble. I did things I shouldn't have done and I learned that life wasn't as happy when you do stupid things like I did. Now when I look back at those times, I truly don't remember ever being happy. But in the times when I was very active in the gospel and doing what I should have been, I WAS VERY HAPPY. I can hardly contain how happy I am. I can feel the spirit and I go through out my day. It's wonderful. Heavenly Father blesses us so much. If we just keep the commandments and stay true to what we have been taught, life can be so sweet. Think about the things that make you happy. If you can't think of anything, maybe it's time to change your perspective. Look at things, other than yourself (that means you too Miranda) and see how you can help someone brighten their day and show love to those who might be in need.

7 comments:

Miranda W. said...

Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean?

Y'all don't know me. Y'all don't know where I've been!

Christie said...

lol uh fine then.. but what about the conceited song? EH PACHA?

Katelyn said...

Haha, Ya'll aint payin fo my baby.

I agree with you completely Christie. Life is so great for me now and it just keeps getting better. I'm so happy with where I am at right now and in a month my happiness is going to increas SOOO much!

Christie said...

Oh I can only imagine. What it would be like to be pregnant. Knowing that you're going to give birth to a baby so soon. That's amazing!

Janell R. Cropper said...

Christie, I liked your post. I feel that way so many times. And yes, I'm pretty sure a lto of it has to do with the gospel. I love the gospel!
(8) Whenever I touch a velvet rose, or walk by a lilac tree, I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world, Heavenly Father created for me (8)

Miranda W. said...

Yeah, Katelyn, you're happiness will increase, but your rest and sleep time will not. Diapers will. Patience will not. Love will. Sanity will not.

Katelyn said...

Yeah, well my rest and sleep has already decreased. I wake up every 2 hours, every night either to go to the bathroom, or just because I'm in pain. I'm already used to it.